The mid 19TH Century saw a growth in the coal, iron and steel industries in Britain. This included the Lanarkshire coal fields which saw Hamilton experience a rise in population from the influx of workers and their families. Consequently, there was a lack of housing, schooling and religious ordinances to accommodate the rising numbers.
Hamilton Old Parish Church created several churches which included Cadzow sited at the corner of Woodside Walk and Haddow Street in land granted by the Duke of Hamilton. The church was consecrated on 22 July 1877 and had a capacity of 839 sittings. The facing stone was a white sandstone from a local quarry on the west of Hamilton. Damage to the church from nearby mine workings occurred in the 1890s. Additional premises were built as extensions from the Sanctuary, the Session House with ancillary cupboard in 1925, the Top Kitchen and a lavatory at the same time as other work in the Sanctuary in 1939, and the Large Hall and ancillary rooms in 1961.
The parish area included the mining communities of Ferniegair, Eddlewood, and Low Waters and to serve them, mission churches were established – Low Waters in 1884 and in Ferniegair in 1902. Eventually, these buildings were sold, Low Waters in 1948 and Ferniegair in 2006. A Manse was built in Carlisle Road, Hamilton, and occupied in early 1912 by the then minister and his family.
Throughout the life of Cadzow, there have been times when repair and refurbishment has been required to maintain the fabric and structure of the church, halls and manse. Cadzow is a “B Listed” historic building, so works are conducted within those constraints. Presently, major work is required to repair the roof and windows of the church with an estimate cost of £500,000. This work is planned to start in the Summer of 2018.
In addition to the present incumbent, the Rev. Dr. John Carswell (2009-current), there have been 7 ministers of Cadzow — Michael Johnstone (1877-1888), Andrew Robertson (1888-1905), Kenneth McLaren (1906-1914), Douglas Bruce (1915-1919), Harkness Graham (1919-1951), Andrew Douglas (1952-1978), Arthur Barrie (1979-2007).
Further historical information can be found in the publications – “The History of Cadzow Parish Church (1877 – 2002)” and “The Centenary of Ferniegair Mission Church (1902 – 2002)”.